Your browser needs Javascript support for this feature. Museu de Évora - Museum
26 September 2017
Use Alt+2 access key shortcut to navigate to the search area of the web site.
Use Alt+1 access key shortcut to navigate to the main content area of the web site.

Museum

  • The history of Evora’s museum goes back to 1804 when Friar Manuel Cenáculo, Archbishop of Évora, inaugurated a public library which also comprised part of his art, archaeological and natural collections.
  • On 26th January1814, Archbishop D. Frei Manuel do Cenáculo Villas Boas died in Évora at the age of 89. The making of the inventory of the contents of his archiepiscopal palace, of the library and museum annexe and of the country palace at Valverde, was begun five days after his death but, owing to the complexity of the work and the inability of the commission to identify and classify the objects, it was suspended. Thus, with the exception of the collection of paintings, the exact contents of the library and museum remained unknown, as well as the vast collection of items in the archiepiscopal palace. In this inventory of more than three hundred pieces, were included drawings and framed prints as well as the paintings, but only those that had been exhibited in the library and museum and had decorated the rooms of the palace. It is the whole of this collection which gave rise the main nucleus of the Museu Regional de Évora, which was created in 1915 by governmental decree.

  • The museum’s building is located in the city’s highest part, between the Cathedral and the Roman Temple. Archaeological research undertaken in 1996 disclosed the existence of part of the paving of the roman forum, some houses from the Islamic period and an area of medieval graves, slightly posterior to the Christian Reconquest in the XII Century, beneath the museum’s foundations.
  • Recommend this web site